If your pet has discomfort, or they panic every time you’re out of their view, you have likely been looking at every option available to make your fur baby feel better.
Dogs are the new kids in 2021, but just like our real babies, our rescue babies need food with safe ingredients, mindfully made with their hearts and health in mind. It’s not far-fetched then, to say that people are turning away from most wholesale pet foods and treats. Some even make their own!
The trend toward homemade pet foods allows owners to customize their pet’s nutrition and offers an easy way to add the natural benefits of CBD to tasty treats your dog will love.
Is CBD Safe for Dogs?
Although it’s new and still being explored—CBD is widely considered safe for your dog to consume. CBD isn’t federally regulated, and only became legal in all 50 states a few years ago—so studies are in their infancy. Expect a lot more info to be coming in the next year or two.
While dogs have different digestive systems, they have a fairly similar endocannabinoid system to us that’s responsible for maintaining body balance and function. Interestingly, a study found that dogs have significantly more CB1 receptors in their brains than humans (smart boys)!
A healthy part of those studies and clinical trials being conducted is about nailing down serving sizes. We recommend starting your pet with a very low serving and gauging their reaction before adding more to food or treats.
Since it’s a relatively new field, the amounts per pet or treat aren’t exact—so you should always ask your vet for more information. Remember, dogs have significantly more CB1 receptors, so they’ll probably feel the effects stronger and faster than a human would.
How to Give Your Pet CBD
Our high-quality CBD oil for pets can be given orally, mixed into your dog’s regular food, or baked into delicious treats for all the benefits of hemp!
Also, be sure to never share your own CBD supplements with furry friends. Instead, opt for CBD that is specifically formulated for dogs like our USDA Organic Chicken Flavored CBD Oil for Pets or our Full-Spectrum CBD in Fish Oil.
Or, you can try these recipes below and remember to never use CBD intended for humans!
Baked Sweet Potato & Coconut Oil CBD Dog Treat Recipe
- 1.5 medium sweet potatoes, cooked and cooled
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup coconut oil (or you can use bacon grease)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Hemplucid Pets CBD Oil
- 1 to 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Mash the sweet potatoes and mix with remaining ingredients until well combined
- Add more coconut flour if needed until you have a doughy consistency
- Shape mixture into one-inch-diameter balls and then flatten the balls with your hand or a spoon
- Space flattened balls evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 18-20 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge
Peanut Butter CBD Cookies
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 cups of old-fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp Hemplucid CBD Oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 325°.
- Mix a tablespoon of coconut oil with the amount of cannabidiol you would like your per treats to contain.
- Blend oats in a blender or food processor until you have a flour-like consistency.
- Combine mashed banana with peanut butter and the infused coconut oil. Stir this together with the oats and knead thoroughly until moistened.
- Use your hands to shape the dough into a circle, about ¼ thick inch. Use a cookie cutter (this can be any shape or size!) and cut out the treats.
- Place the cutouts on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden brown for approximately 25 – 30 minutes depending on the thickness of the treats.
- The number of treats depends on your cookie cutter.
No-Bake Pumpkin & Turmeric CBD Dog Treats
- 2 cups pure pumpkin puree (*not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Hemplucid Pets CBD Oil
- Mix the pumpkin puree, honey, turmeric, and coconut oil in a bowl until well-combined.
- Add the rolled oats gradually until you have a cookie dough consistency.
- Put parchment paper on a small baking sheet. Break off equal pieces of cookie dough and roll them into balls. A melon scooper or ice cream scoop might be helpful. Ideally, you’d want to get about 14 balls out of this mixture.
- Add your desired amount of CBD oil.
- Place the balls in the fridge and allow 15 minutes for them to set.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Fur Your Consideration
There are many ways that your dog can safely enjoy CBD benefits, but there are a few rules responsible pet owners must follow.
- Always consult a veterinarian and never give products formulated for humans to your furry friends.
- Dogs have more cannabinoid receptors in their brains than humans so the serving size is extremely important (start low).
- Your dog can take chicken or fish-flavored CBD tinctures orally, mixed in with their food, or made into a batch of delicious treats!
- AND MORE!
Browse our shop to find your favorite product for you or your pets!