Our latest product launch was inspired by none other than our favorite, four-legged companions. Dogs and pets make our lives a little more complete, and CBD products may help increase your pet's quality of life. With all the buzz about cannabidiol (CBD) lately, you've probably had questions, like "are CBD pet treats safe" or "are CBD dog treats effective?"
Just like humans, dogs and other animals need an individualized approach when it comes to finding balance with CBD. It's important to "start low and go slow", as they say, when starting your pet on their CBD journey. Some pets are finicky with tinctures, so CBD-infused treats are a great way to show your pet some love while looking out for their overall health.
Read on for more information on if CBD treats are good for dogs. Plus, get tips on recommended dosages for your dog.
How Do CBD Dog Treats Work?
The popularity of CBD products has increased in recent years, and the same is true among pet owners. As veterinary costs have increased, caretakers of four-legged friends have been increasingly turning to CBD to offer their pets some relief.
So, what can CBD do for dogs and other kinds of animals? Evidence suggests that CBD may help establish balance in the presence various canine health problems, such as:
These potential healing effects happen by way of the endocannabinoid system (ECS). Similar to their human owners, dogs have their own ECS that responds to CBD.
Related Reading: What Is the Endocannabinoid System?
What Are CBD Dog Treats Good For?
Infused with CBD, dog treats can be a great way to promote a sense of calm and balance in your four-legged friend. Anxiety is a common problem among dogs. It may manifest as:
- Excessive chewing
- Peeing indoors
- Uncontrollable barking
CBD may help dogs due to its anti-anxiety properties. Don't worry — CBD won't get your dog "high". Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) over 0.3% is what produces psychoactive sensations. According to The Anti-Cruelty Society, "CBD is non psychoactive and appears safe to be used on pets."
Levels of THC under 0.3% , such as the full-spectrum CBD found in some pet tinctures, are thought to be relatively risk-free for most dogs. However, it's important to keep in mind that some dogs are extremely sensitive to THC.
Canines have more cannabinoid receptors than humans do, so the "average" THC dose can be too much for a dog. Marijuana poisoning can be detrimental and even deadly, so it's important to know exactly what you are feeding your dog and how much is recommended for them specifically.
Of course, it is important to check with your veterinarian before dosing your dog with CBD. Be sure to ask about any medications, supplements, or conditions that might interfere with CBD.
Tips For Choosing Pet-Safe CBD
- Visit Your Vet - The best practice for feeding these treats to your pet is to check with a veterinarian that is familiar with cannabis first. Since research can vary by animal and breed, a vet can help you determine proper dosing of CBD and if these treats are appropriate for certain species.
- Look For The Certificate of Analysis (COA) - Hemplucid's lab results can be found at lucidlabs.hemplucid.com. Each and every lot is sampled, tested, and archived. It is made publically available so you can ensure your pet is receiving the purest product possible.
- Double Check The Dosage - Check the recommended dosage, and then check it twice. You can never be too careful when providing for your pet! You are their best advocate when it comes to dosing them with the appropriate amount of CBD for them individually.
- Know The Signs & Side Effects - Your dog or pet won't be able to tell you if something is wrong, but there are some signs and symptoms their body will exhibit. Look out for the following potential signs of dosing at improper levels:
- Dry Mouth
- Increased saliva
- Increased thirst
- Decrease in blood pressure
How Many CBD Dog Treats To Give?
When it comes to giving your dog or pet CBD-infused treats, start by offering them half of a treat and then gauge their reaction. Just like humans, dogs need to "start low and go slow" when trying out CBD to find the amount. This allows each pet to find the right amount of CBD for them individually.
Every dog is different. For example, small dogs may only be suited for half a CBD treat per day, while bigger dogs may be able to handle up to 3 treats daily. It all depends on your pet's unique needs.
To help you find the right balance for your pet, visit our frequently asked questions (FAQs) page.
The Bottom Line on CBD Pet Treats
Just like their human companions, dogs have an endocannabinoid system (ECS). CBD treats can be the perfect fit for dogs who are struggling. Delivered in a tasty package, your furry friend will be so dog-gone happy and healthy.
Purchase our pet treats today to see the difference it can make for your dog!
AKC Staff. CBD Oil for Dogs: What You Need to Know. Akc.org. Published February 24, 2021.
Dawson K. 5 Things To Consider Before Giving CBD To Your Dog. Fitbark.com. Published September 4, 2020.
Houser W. THC Toxicity in Pets. Aspcapetinsurance.com. Accessed October 2021.
Johnstone G. Marijuana Poisoning in Dogs. Akc.org. Published April 21, 2021.
Stancheva T. Is THC Bad for Pets? How Much THC Is Safe for Dogs? Pawsomeadvice.com. Published May 11, 2021.